Skip to main content

Jayden’s Diary – Episode 5


 

Hi Diary,

Apart from my two friends who happen to be my classmates and roommates, no other person in the school knows yet about the things that are happening to me. With the sensible exception of maybe some smart calculative folks, who were present in the chapel the day Kelvin offered a labeled answer to my questions during the Bible Study session. Well, anybody can think whatever they want. It is not like I give a hoot anymore.

I couldn’t even articulate my worries to anybody in my class. Because, I can’t seem to put up with the way I’ll appear to atheist guys whose points I had always attacked. While they may be happy for the addition of a brother into their fold, at a point, and maybe not to my face, they’ll think my faith was a product of dogmas, and not self-verified realities, in the sense of it.

That’s a big blow I can’t afford to take from even them. It’ll be a big slap on my intelligence’s face. This morning, I removed myself from all the Christian groups I belong to on social media.

On my bed is where I lay every morning and night, while my roommates proceed to devotion in the hostel’s common room. Joe came back to the room after the prayers and handed me a pamphlet on salvation. I told him ‘No, thanks’.

Meanwhile, Ben, my other roommate talked about how we needed to go for prayers in chapel because our exams were in few weeks, and excellence, according to him, can only be pre-activated in prayers. It didn’t sound bad. But I was internally vexed to ask him what the point was in dedicating your time praying to a god who will later restrict people from entering eternal rest because they fell short of a standard.

I told him I was going to spend my own time studying, working with my own hands, and doing my own thing. If I excel, fine. If I don’t, well. That will be a satisfying use of my time.

I guess my replies repainted the picture of me they had in their minds. This evening, Joe was looking for a silver wristwatch in his part of the wardrobe. I was in the room when they went for evening service. When he began the search, his face tried to say otherwise. But his actions loudly said I picked his watch. Why? They left me in the room reading, while they went for prayers.

And leaving me alone in the room these days, especially with the puzzles I am carrying around means to them just one thing; the devil’s child has done things with our stuff. Everybody believed the odd person – I took the watch. Another sad thing.

Comments

  1. Wow.

    I seem to be running out of words as more episodes come in.
    This makes my heart heavy.

    Thoughts, Silences. Oh Silences.
    Religion.


    Dear Jayden, You find a companion.
    Thank you for this beautifully expressive piece, The Feranmi Oyedele. The way he feels is really felt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the "first timers gift part for me".😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I really think he never really experienced God for himself or if he did, he doesn't fellowship with God.

    I pray his eyes be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmanuel Gbogwu IIMay 4, 2021 at 12:41 PM

    Well-done bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was slightly here🤣🤣🤣

    Not anymore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm,that part got me,I removed myself from all Christian groups.More like the usual and first thing Jayden and those in his plight would do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021: Wins, Losses, Lessons, & People.

  I think my initial struggle to put these thoughts into words, is the best note on which to begin this content. My mind housed the desire to write this review, at least, three weeks before I would later bring myself into the action. And for a consummate writer as I like to believe of myself, this was a particular subject of worry for me throughout the year.  I wrote, at least, three articles – a thousand words minimum – every week from January through August, all of them being paid gigs. It’s scary how money can be a crazy sponsor for motivation, because here’s the thing – the contents I wrote for money were not ones I had a thing for. They were mostly technical topics, which demanded tremendous amounts of diligence in the way of research. Besides two blogs of my own, I volunteer on two other blogs, where I write on topics and to the kind of audience that make my heart flutter.   I can recall more than two instances where I tried writing something on these topics...

Choices and Metamorphosis

  What are choices? Choices are those decisive templates by which we live our lives. They are our daily premeditated actions, or decisive preferences. Of all the outfits packed in the diversity of your wardrobe, a black jean with a blue top was what you thought ideal to wear to a friend’s birthday party. That’s a choice. That’s your choice. You could have chosen another outfit, if you wanted to.  Choices play cardinal roles in the forms that our lives take, as humans. As a matter of fact, choices are the greatest weapons in our material arsenals. With your choices, you can make your life, and with your choices, you can break your life.  I was conversing with a mentor some two weeks ago, and he asked me why I had not yet implemented some of the goals I had for life. The question reflexively triggered my defenses. I gave him all the genuine reasons I thought I had in the world, and he told me something. “If you keep looking for excuses, you will always find them, and guess ...

4 Enriching Lessons From Gideon

  Gideon is one of the many icons in the Bible, whose life, leadership, and walk with God provide a clear example of what God can achieve through a willing man. He served as Israel’s fifth major judge, and his destruction of baal, the pagan god, earned him the name Jerub-Baal, meaning the destroyer of Baal. Gideon embodied a rich history of faith that is as edifying today, as it was many thousand years ago. In this piece of content, I share 4 central lessons that can be gleaned from the life of Israel’s fifth judge. 4 Enriching Lessons from Gideon 1.       God Looks Beyond You When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon in verse 12 of Judges 6, he gave him a reference that exceeded the limits of his physical reality. He called Gideon a mighty man of valor. Another version refers to him as a mighty soldier. But, one would have asked how these labels of strength applied to a man who was clearly hiding in the bottom of a grane press ...